Saturday 14 April 2012

Stealthy stake building of Bernard Arnault.

Ashley Hughes stands before the gardens of Newton Vineyards in Napa Valley. A lady always brings a scarf to wrap around her shoulders as temperatures can dip in the valley.



I have always had a special place in my heart for luxury goods. Ever since I spent the afternoon at Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton's (LVMH) vineyard Newton in California, I kept a close eye on their business and acquisitions. I was saddened when they engulfed one of my favourite brands Bvlgari, for 3.7 billion euros ($5.2 billion) in March of 2011, but I know Bvlgari is in good hands. After all, 2 members of the Bvlgari family now get seats on the board of LVMH.

I am a cautious investor in luxury stocks overall, but I am keeping an eye out on the Hermes / LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vuitton saga. LVMH's 22% stake in Hermes International could be priceless over the long haul. The brand sets itself apart from the other leather luxury goods, there is a genuine demand for their products and the luxury industry is basically in the infancy of growth in places like China. Hermes and LVMH headlines have garnered a lot of attention as a recruitment story, but Hermes's holding company capital structure can assist the family and future generations and allow them to remain independent, at least over the 15-20 year view. 




Ashley Hughes Vancouver, Upper Echelon, Bing, Yahoo, Facebook, twitter, dirty, clean, business, consulting, lady ashley hughes vancouver, ashley hughes,